Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Things you hear

I'm not sure if it's just my lack of sleep or that I was feeling in a fighting mood but today I may have challenged my boss (who is also my mentors mom...). Today in our staff meeting our director said that to improve codes it was necessary to remove family from the room to the waiting room. I was shocked... how often are we told that family needs to be present for multiple reasons?
1. for purpose of the families mentality
2. to remind families that patients who are dying are human beings
3. I can't remember I'm still tired
Anyways, she proceeds to say that they need to be removed and something in me snapped. I said, "you are undermining everything they teach us in nursing school"... she then goes to retract her statement and clarify that families from other rooms in the ICU are to be removed and that the family in the coding patients room should be moved to the door area to allow room and then for a nurse to explain what's going on to the family (which is what they teach us)....

Thinking about what I've said now, I kinda feel stupid... how dare I say something like that to my boss... and in front of everyone... wow... I need to watch my mouth

oh well

it's bed time people. night

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Life as a Nursing Student. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan