Wednesday, September 2, 2009

TB (+)

So recently I had my annual skin test for TB. This year however I cam back POSITIVE. Gasp. I ws kind of surprised, scratch that. I was extremely surprised. I work in the ICU and yes we do get TB patients but it almost felt as if I slipped up. Had I not entirely protected myself when entering a droplet isolation room? None the less I was mandated by employee health to get a CXR.

The results of the CXR was, "nothing acute." Just as I expected. I still feel a little "dirty." Like I was just given life changing information and now I am a infected person. But I'm smart enough to know that just because you come back positive doesn't mean that you had the infection, just that your body has built antibodies to the infection. Well today when I went to get my health clearance for school the doctor found out I came back positive. He highly recommended that I start on Isoniazid (INH) for 9 months! He said that this way in the future it will dramatically reduce my chances of having this hidden infection "activate" in the event I were to become immunocompromised.

Worst part of it all? No drinking for the next 9 months! I was never really a drinker though so it shouldn't be hard...

that's all..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Life as a Nursing Student. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan