Sunday, April 3, 2011

The job hunt...

Okay so the job hunt has begun. I'm going to try to be a frequent blogger so I can remember the horrendous process in full detail when I'm a big fancy nurse LOL.

So, the application period has opened and I have begun applying for new grad jobs. At this point I have applied to 3 major hospitals who all have Versant programs. In case you don't know, Versant is a RN residency program that is about 18 weeks long and you have varying levels of preceptorship starting with a preceptor who has only been a nurse for up to 2 years and ending with a preceptor who has been a nurse for >15 years. It's based on the Benner Model (Go read Expertise in Nursing practice, great book for soon to be RNs who are into Critical Care).

My application was submitted to the hospital where I work and I was selected to proceed with the interview process. I had to take a math test and then do an assessment on my beliefs (it was weird and hard to explain but it's basically a personality test). After passing the math test I was offered an interview and that is going to be in one and a half weeks!! I'm so nervous. Just because I work here does NOT mean I get a job here as an RN (something most people have ass backward in their head).

One other application was submitted and it is to my DREAM hospital. That application is complete and unfortunately the app period doesn't close until mid April. I really really want this hospital because its just amazing, they have award winning cardiac services and I LOVE cardiac... Additionally, it's a sister hospital to the one I work at so I will get to keep my sick time and seniority! PLUS the computer system is the same so hopefully this should make the transition easier. I'm praying to get this job but I heard there was over 740 apps for 30 spots at my hospital so you can only imagine what its going to be like for this hospital.

The third hospital I'm just so so about. I don't know, my family had bad experiences there but nurses say they love it there..

Theres honestly so much going on that I can't believe I have to go to school while doing all this. Did you know that you don't just apply to a hospital? Every application must have all of the following:

1. Resume
2. Cover Letter
3. Letters of recommendation NOT from faculty
4. Unofficial transcripts
5. Personal statement answering their questions (they tell you what to answer)
6. BLS card

Based on this they offer you a personality test and/or math test. THEN they decide whether or not to interview you. My God what if I don't even get an interview at my dream hospital?! I swear I have so much anxiety it's making me useless.... The true question is, how do you make yourself stand out in the above parts of your application? How can you decide that you want me without even meeting me?

If you know the answer, PLEASE let me know : (

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Life as a Nursing Student. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan