Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I'm conflicted

So, I'm the kind of person who doesn't like surprises. I like things to be planned and for me to never be taken off guard. Naturally I have been contemplating what I would do in the event I was offered my once thought of "dream job". So let me explain... I've talked about this "dream job" of mine so I better explain why it's a dream job.


Hospital X is my dream job because:
1. they have cardiac services and I LOVE the heart
2. they are a new hospital and I'd really like to have a fresh start
3. they are a newly remodeled ICU so it's oh so pretty
4. they are doing new things like THERAPEUTIC HYPOTHERMIA (say it loud because that ROCKS)


Hospital X does have "cons"
1. they have a reputation of being mean old nurses who run the unit and drive out mgr after mgr
2. they have a reputation of being mean nurses who eat their young
3. I wouldn't necessarily be deep in the cardiac mix to start out with
4. some say it's not good to learn a specialty so early and that you should learn med/surg first to have a better foundation (Med/surg ICU mind you)
5. I would upset A LOT of people by transferring to another hospital and might be looked down upon by my peers right now (peers being the nurses I work with)


My current hospital "pros"
1. I know the people, I know who I can trust, I know who to avoid, and that's half the battle
2. I have a good reputation and people know who I am and that should work to my advantage
3. I know the routine, I know how to call lab/pharm/transport, how to chart, the med forms, learning would basically be focused on nursing and not all the little crap making being a new grad that much easier
4. I have a great support system there, incl a great mgr 
5. My mentor works per-diem there and it's been my dream to work with her
6. It would be comfortable 


"Cons" 
1. Not a real challenge like everyone else
2. Working with some bad lazy nurses who frustrate me
3. people know me, there's no fresh start, people may confuse my role
4. NO CARDIAC


It's a tough decision... I don't even have the other job yet... I could be counting my chickens before they hatch... I could be jinxing myself.


The worst part of this whole situation is that I went to talk to my mentor about it, and basically she gave me a FIRM talking to. She didn't yell at me, but there was almost zero support for going to the other hospital. Her reasons that I shouldn't go were valid. She told me that a great ICU nurse has a strong foundation in Med/Surg ICU prior to learning the heart that way they can handle a patient who turns into renal failure excellently. She explained that these old bird nurses run the unit and go through nurse mgrs like underwear. They would be resistant to change and she said I'm the kind of person who will see something that needs to be Evidenced Based Practice and I'll want to change it, but the old birds will be resistant and that would upset me. She warned that if we clashed I would end up hating going to work and I don't have to worry about that at my hospital. Additionally she said we have a very supportive mgr who backs nurses and supports them, unlike Hospital X....


UGH, so much on my mind!! 

1 comments:

Shane Lewis said...

Hi Sylv!
I know you are a person who will always follow her dreams more fiercely than anyone else I know. I'm inspired by you. Whatever decision you make will be the right one whether you dive right in to the job you'll love, or stay and get used to nursing for a while.
-Shane

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Life as a Nursing Student. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan